Who We Are…
A community-funded, nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, Cocheco Valley Humane Society (CVHS) is dedicated to promoting the humane treatment of animals in Strafford County, NH and Southern Maine. We are a safe, temporary home for more than 1,500 surrendered, lost, abused, neglected, or unwanted animals each year.
We Fulfill Our Mission By…
- Placing animals into caring, forever homes
- Promoting the practice of spaying and neutering
- Assisting with cruelty investigations and rescue
- Raising awareness within the community about animal welfare
- Encouraging volunteer involvement and support
- Being an active voice and advocate for the safety, health, and wellbeing of animals
- Serving as a comprehensive resource center for the community
The Cocheco Valley Humane Society (CVHS), located in the Strafford County Complex in Dover, New Hampshire, was established in 1984 to serve the domestic animal welfare needs of the more than 125,000 residents of Strafford County, NH. We also provide service to New Hampshire and southern Maine residents who, while living outside our general service area, need and seek our assistance. We provide shelter to more than 1,500 animals per year with additional services to thousands more.
Housed in a 100-year-old piggery that was once part of the county work farm, CVHS does not receive funding from the State of New Hampshire or the federal government. CVHS relies solely on community support.